Monday, April 6, 2015

long time no blog + third trimester bliss balls

It has been a really long time since I have even looked at this blog and believe me, a lot has changed since I last posted. I will give you a little run-down of the events that have transpired since I last wrote. 

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with a little baby girl (which means that I would have been pregnant the last time I posted here but had no clue at the time! Freaky!) and absolutely over the moon about it. Overall it has been a wonderful pregnancy; bub and I are both healthy and growing as we should, Luke and I are super in love and I feel so blessed to be growing our very own human. I adore my baby bump and feeling her kick and twist in there.

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg
It definitely looks bigger from the side, trust me

Some parts of the pregnancy experience have been a struggle; I had all really bad nausea and food aversions every day for the first 14 weeks or so of the pregnancy, although this thankfully has passed and made way for a very healthy appetite! I have also been dealing with stubborn dermatitis on my face (ONLY on my face! What?) that was probably triggered by all the hormonal changes from pregnancy. This has been difficult as it is impossible to treat and is affecting my self-esteem a bit, but I am just trying to remember that my friends and family value me for more than just clear skin, and hopefully it is just a phase my skin is going through that will pass after little baby is born.

Happily, the minute the pregnancy test showed the positive (after being about a week late on my period) marked the last day of the bulimic episodes that were plaguing me since getting out of hospital at the end of May 2014- after all, an eating disorder and a pregnancy cannot live together in harmony. I have been eating a large variety and quantity of food, have gained a healthy amount of weight for how far along I am and have a nice round baby bump out in front. I also made the difficult decision to start eating meat and dairy again after the crazy food aversions made it very difficult to maintain my usual dietary habits, and am not sure what path I will follow with my diet once the baby is born.

I think I will keep blogging for the remainder of the pregnancy at least (only 11 weeks to go!) and hopefully will continue when I have a newborn. I wanted to post today because I just created an awesome recipe and wanted to share it with my Mum, although I did somewhat tailor it to my pregnant-girl dietary requirements! I shall call them Third Trimester Bliss Balls, as they provide a shitload of good nutrients for what really is a particularly tiring time during the pregnancy. The walnuts and coconut are full of good fats, the dates and molasses are high in iron, the spirulina is high in protein, the prunes and chia seeds are great for keeping you regular (a pregnancy must) and the maca powder helps to balance out crazy pregnancy hormones. Plus, they are delicious!


Third Trimester Bliss Balls

2 cups walnuts
1 cup dates
Big handful prunes
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp molasses
3 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 tbsp maca powder
2 tsp spirulina

In the food processor, pulse the walnuts. Add the dates and prunes and process again. Add 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, chia seeds, coconut oil, molasses, cacao powder, maca powder and spirulina and process the lot until it starts clumping together. Roll the balls in the remaining 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut and place balls in an airtight container in the fridge.

Notes: You might need to play with the nut/dried fruit ratios to make sure the mixture is not too dry and not too sticky. Too dry = add more dates and prunes. Too sticky: add more nuts. If you like a chunkier ball, process for a shorter amount of time. You can also play with quantities of the superfood powders to suit your taste.

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg
Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment