Thursday, November 21, 2013

sorting through things

I have been busy the past few days trying to get some life stuff sorted out which I wish not to discuss on here. This is a blog about my journey as a new vegan, not about my personal misadventures! Plus, food is way more interesting than almost anything else.

I'm allowed to eat mangoes in bed

So, this stuff will be dealt with, and then...the festive season! I can't believe that it is the end of November already...I have my final exams soon for this semester! 

As a treat to myself, I purchased the most beautiful Maurie & Eve dress and some sexy white strappy heels, as after a year of being a boring glandular fever-induced housebound hermit I am ready to emerge as a pretty butterfly. I am not going to get wasted and fall into a pot plant or anything, but I do plan to indulge in a glass or two of champagne and dab on some cruelty-free make-up at least once.

Now onto the food for the past few days! I had an uncomfortable realization that I have shoveled down far too much "junky" food lately- my body tends to let me know when I haven't been on top of my nutrition and I feel lethargic, heavy and uninspired. Confession time: I have been eating vegan burritos, cupcakes, brownies, toast, vegan chocolate, and a lot of dates and nuts. A lot of sugar and not a lot of fresh leafy greens.

I mentioned before that I want to do another detox soon, and I decided to delay it for this week due to several disruptions during the week. When I do them, I like to do them right and really put the focus on eating the best I can, exercising and nurturing my body. I think I will begin on Monday, which gives me time to get through the modelling course on the weekend, recover a little from the past (hectic) few days and properly plan my cooking and food to be detox-friendly. 

Sorry I talk so much about detoxing! It is just something that genuinely does make my body feel a whole lot better when I haven't treated it like the amazing complex system that it is.

Oats with blueberries, coconut nectar and Loving Earth Caramelised Buckinis

Vegan mango lassi which was amazing

My little adopted baby (a rescue dog!)

Also, to the people that checked this blog out after it was mentioned on the Facebook page of Little Oak Sanctuary: thank you so much for dropping in! I hope that my experience of the sanctuary (and seeing the little cuties who live there) will encourage others to support animals in need, and maybe visit a sanctuary in the future. I know a lot of you already do heaps for animal welfare, much more than I do, and it makes me happy to know that you're out there. Luke and I became sponsors for Little Oak after attending the Open Day- it's one thing to read about the consequences of factory farming, but quite another to meet the gorgeous little faces behind the awfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment