Tuesday, July 23, 2013

bedridden with a book

I was so fatigued and generally unwell today that I called in sick to work and hung out in bed all day. Exciting, I know! Fortunately, I had some leftover green smoothie, a bar of Loving Earth raw vegan organic chocolate and a  book on my Kobo to keep me company (the stupid thing actually worked for once! Hallelujah!).

[The book] "Vegan Freak: Being Vegan In A Non-Vegan World" by Bob and Jenna Torres is SO FREAKING GOOD. I devoured it in one sitting. Well, I got up to pee and eat, but pretty much one sitting. I didn't pee and eat at the same time, though.

They are hilarious, but also extremely intelligent and well-educated about the ideas behind ethical veganism (Bob Torres also has another book which examines animal rights from a social anarchist position- this guy is quite serious about making changes to the way we regard and treat animals in society). Anyone who is even considering becoming vegan should read "Vegan Freak", as it will totally wipe any doubts you might have had about cutting animal products out of your life and to me, the more people who manage to cut out animal agriculture and all the gross shit that comes with it, the better!

It is also chock-full of practical advice (eg. how to talk to your family without inflaming anyone, how to travel and still eat well as a vegan, food ideas, and how to explain the ideas behind your vegan lifestyle to the haters) for anyone making the change, which I appreciated as I am still obviously a newbie.

Anyway. I am going to go sit on the couch and cuddle with my little family now- love them!

Thanks for making such a delicious product, Loving Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment