Sunday, July 7, 2013

counting down the days

What you see here in this grainy webcam photograph is me holding the wrapper of the last Mars Bar I intend to eat for a good long time, hopefully forever.

I am very excited to announce that I have decided to become...vegan! The purpose of this blog will be to document the process, one unflattering photo at a time. And also to convince the non-believers that I can survive without animal products in my life. 



Now, a bit of background information about me: 

I am a twenty-three year-old girl from Australia with passion for organic food and nutrition. I love Chihuahuas, health food stores, pink lipstick, magazines, farmer's markets, sleeping in, and bagels. 


Academically, I have a background in Animal Technology (which means that I am qualified as a veterinary nurse, although I chose not to go down that path) and I currently work for a weight-loss company with a bunch of lovely girls my age. 


At the moment I am only working part-time due to an extended (unwelcome) bout of glandular fever, but as soon as I have more energy I intend to embark on either a degree in Nutrition or Naturopathy- undecided at this stage. 


I am getting married in March 2014 to Luke, the best guy in the universe. I found my dress in an op-shop, and the wedding will be in a beautiful green plant nursery about half an hour from where I live.


I am climbing aboard the vegan train because I love animals and frankly don't want to contribute to animal cruelty in any way, shape or form. I have been toying with the idea for a while: when I was eighteen I was pescetarian for two years (which excludes meat and poultry, but allows fish and other animal products). For the past seven months I have been vegetarian (no meat, but other animal products such as dairy and eggs) and quite happy. Veganism is kind of happening organically and I am going to follow my heart.


The journey will start as of this Saturday, 13th July 2013. This week will be a week of eating all the non-vegan food I have in my cupboards- although I am not thrilled about this, I still don't want to be wasteful. I am highly excited for my first vegan day to come- am going to buy a celebratory packet of nutritional yeast at the market on Saturday to kick off the journey.


P.S- The aforementioned Mars Bar gave me gastrointestinal upsets- perhaps the poor cows who produced the "milk solids" are trying to send me a message of support. Thanks, guys!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Baby

    You're doing so well with you're vegan cooking. I am very proud of you.

    I can't wait until you're my wife.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete